Durability is a concept that holds immense significance in our daily lives. We often come across the word “durable” when discussing products or materials that are able to withstand wear, damage, or decay over time. In this article, we will delve into the durable meaning, durable synonyms & antonyms, history, and example sentences associated with the word “durable.”
Let’s explore the word Durable Synonyms, Antonyms, Meaning, History & Example Sentences, and its importance in different contexts.
Meaning & Definition of Durable & Durability
The term “durable” can be defined as an adjective that characterizes an object or material capable of withstanding wear, decay, or damage over a prolonged period. A durable item is built to endure and can withstand the test of time without losing its form or function.
Durability is a quality that describes the ability of an object, substance, or material to remain intact, functional, or usable over an extended period. It refers to the resilience and long-lasting nature of something, regardless of the external factors it encounters.
When discussing durability, we often come across several synonyms that can be used interchangeably to convey a similar meaning. Some common synonyms of “durable” include:
On the contrary, we also encounter antonyms of durable that describe the opposite characteristic—items or materials that are not able to withstand wear, damage, or decay over time. Some antonyms of the word durable include:
Also, explore the Abandoned Synonyms & Antonyms.
History of the Word Durable
The word “durable” traces its origins back to the Latin term “durabilis,” which means “to last” or “to endure.” Over time, this Latin root influenced various languages, including Old French and Middle English, leading to the emergence of the modern-day term durable in the English language.
How To Use Durable In A Sentence
To better understand how to use the word “durable” in different contexts, let’s explore a few example sentences with the word durable:
- The durable fabric of this jacket ensures it will withstand harsh weather conditions.
- The company is known for producing durable and reliable electronic devices.
- It is essential to invest in durable furniture that can withstand heavy usage.
- The durable construction of the bridge ensures its longevity for future generations.
- This backpack is made of durable materials that can endure rough outdoor adventures.
- The durable leather jacket withstood years of rugged use without showing any signs of wear.
- The sturdy wooden table proved to be durable as it endured countless family gatherings and everyday use.
- The long-lasting batteries provided a durable power source for portable electronic devices.
- The durable hiking boots survived treacherous terrains and harsh weather conditions during the adventurous expedition.
- The durable ceramic tiles in the kitchen remained intact despite heavy foot traffic and accidental spills.
- The robust steel frame of the building ensured its durability even in areas prone to earthquakes.
- The reliable car engine showcased its durability by clocking hundreds of thousands of miles without major issues.
- The tough and durable backpack accompanied the traveler on numerous adventures, enduring rough handling and challenging environments.
- The hard-wearing work gloves provided durable protection to the hands of the workers in hazardous industries.
- The resilient phone case protected the device from accidental drops, making it highly durable.
- The durable nylon fabric of the outdoor tent withstands strong winds and heavy rain during camping trips.
- The durable tires on the bicycle provided excellent grip and wear resistance for long rides.
- The durable plastic containers proved to be ideal for storing food items as they remained intact and leak-proof.
- The reliable and durable watch continued to function accurately even after years of use.
- The laptop’s durable keyboard allowed for countless hours of typing without any keys becoming unresponsive.
Durability is a fundamental characteristic that ensures the longevity and resilience of objects, materials, and structures. Whether it’s the products we use or the buildings we inhabit, durability plays a crucial role in our daily lives.
By understanding the durable meaning, durable synonym and antonym words, history, and example sentences associated with the word durable, we gain insights into its significance and how it can impact our choices and decision-making.
Q: What is the opposite of “durable”?
A: The opposite of “durable” is “fragile” or “perishable.” Fragile items are prone to breaking or damage, while perishable items deteriorate or decay quickly.
Q: Why is durability important in product manufacturing?
A: Durability is vital in product manufacturing to establish a positive reputation, retain customers, and reduce returns or replacements. Durable products contribute to customer satisfaction and brand loyalty.
Q: How does durability affect sustainability?
A: Durability is closely linked to sustainability as it reduces the need for frequent replacements, minimizes waste, and promotes responsible consumption.
Q: What are some common materials known for their durability?
A: Materials such as stainless steel, hardwood, concrete, and certain synthetic polymers are known for their durability.
Q: Can durability be improved through maintenance practices?
A: Yes, regular maintenance practices can significantly improve the durability of objects or materials. Following recommended care guidelines and conducting timely repairs or inspections can extend their lifespan.